Scholarships and Awards Student Support Fund
The Pat Tetreault & PFLAG Lincoln LGBTQA+ Student Support Fund
The LGBTQA+ Center assists students who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses causing short-term financial hardship that requires immediate attention to keep a student in college. This fund is designated to assist LGBTQA+ students or student supporters/those who are allied to the LGBTQA+ community who are not reasonably able to resolve their financial difficulty through scholarships, loans, or other Financial Aid awards. This fund is being administered by the LGBTQA+ Center in accordance with applicable University rules and policies. University Foundations, in partnership with PFLAG Lincoln and the LGBTQA+ Center, has established a fund designated to address the needs of LGBTQA+ students and allies.
The Pat Tetreault/PFLAG-Lincoln Student Support Fund’s purpose is to help pay actual expenses. The fund is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
- Applicants must have a short-term financial hardship.
- Must have looked into financial aid options.
- Is impacted as a member of the LGBTQA+ community or as a supporter of the LGBTQA+ community (e.g., they have lost some financial support as an ally.)
- Must have a record of good conduct.
- Must be a currently enrolled student at UNL.
Amount: Student Support Fund awards are made to reimburse students for actual expense, so the amount will vary, up to $1,000. Students will be awarded at most one Student Support Fund per academic year. Payment will be made to cover the expense.
All awards are distributed after the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid has determined (based on government requirements) how the award may impact their financial aid package (if the applicant is receiving financial aid). The award is considered a grant so adjustments to the financial aid package may occur based on the award.
Eligible Expenses: Any unanticipated or unusual expenses outside of the typical budget will be considered. Student Support Funds are not intended for tuition or student fees unless an emergency has occurred where one semester of tuition and/or fees need help being payed. Each case will be considered on its own merits. These are limited, non-state dollars acquired through donations to the University Foundation specifically for this fund.
- Completed application form, with supporting documentation (e.g., the bill).
- Fund selection: The Student Support Fund Committee will review the application and make their recommendations. Final approval requires the signature of the Director of the LGBTQA+ Center, Pat Tetreault. A student application may be required to meet with any of the above to further assess the merits of the emergency grant request.
Application Checklist – please ensure you have all required documents before submitting.
- Completed application form
- Documentation of need. For example, an invoice, bill, or receipt. Payment may be made directly to where the money is owed.
- Latest income tax return (Not required if student has a FAFSA on file)
- Itemized budget for funds being requested (amount, payment to, due date)
Questions? Contact email@example.com for more information.