Resources Lavender Closet
How it Works
The Lavender Closet is open during the Center's open hours. Stop by the Center to request access to the space to donate or pick out clothes. All donations must be machine washed and in good condition. There are gender neutral restrooms on the third floor for you to try items on if desired.
The Lavender Closet Clothing Exchange seeks to provide all UNL students* with free and discreet access to identity affirming clothing and accessories. When students feel comfortable and validated in their expression, they are free to focus on forwarding their education and pursuing their dreams.
* non-students are welcome as well with a suggested one item donation per one item taken
Due to a high volume of donations, we are currently only able to accept donations that fit the following guidelines.
- Masculine clothing of any size
- Binders of any size
- All athletic clothing
- All swimwear
Not Currently Accepting
- Feminine clothing under size XL
- Reusable bags
- Stained, torn, or poor quality clothing
- Event/logo/branded t-shirts
- Ease of Access: The Lavender Closet will provide students with a welcoming and accepting environment to try on and attain clothing that they feel comfortable wearing.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Many academic courses, student organizations, and Greek houses require their members to complete a certain amount of volunteer hours. Students can fulfill these hours by helping to staff the Closet.
- Sustainability: Any clothing that is not claimed within a certain timeframe will be donated to local LGBTQA+ friendly homeless shelters and organizations. We understand the importance of protecting the environment, so we aim to limit our contributions to landfills by not throwing away old clothing.
What is Identity Affirming Clothing?
Identity can refer to a lot of things, including sexual orientation, gender identity, cultural heritage, and much more. We hope to have clothing and accessories that fit students’ identity across the spectrum. While clothes can be gender affirming, we will have lack-of-gender/agender styles available as well.